Extrinsic materials are anything external, but closely related to the legislation being interpreted. This material includes:
- Explanatory Memoranda (or the equivalent) relating to the legislation
- Parliamentary debates (Hansard)
- reports of Royal Commissions, Law Reform Commissions, Committees of Inquiry or similar bodies placed before Parliament during consideration of the legislation
- reports of Parliamentary committees made during the passage of the legislation
- treaties or other international agreements mentioned in the Act.